Sunday, February 20, 2022

Soccer In The Morning, Spanky's In The Evening




I watched the soccer match between Tottenham and Manchester City with my friend Mark yesterday morning. Manchester City is in first place in the English Premier League, while Tottenham has been struggling, and so it was a surprise that Tottenham not only didn't get blown away, but actually won the game 3 - 2. Mark is a big Tottenham fan and was therefore quite happy with the outcome. The photograph on the left is of Mark wearing his Tottenham jersey at the stadium in East Manchester, where we teleported ourselfs for the game. And evidently A1A, the famous highway that runs the entire length of Florida's Atlantic coast, must sponsor the team.



That evening, Mark, Wally - my friend and former University of Denver Bookstore co-worker - and I got together for Happy Hour at Spanky's, just down the road from the University of Denver. We tried to pick a booth as far away from the sound system as possible, with only mixed success. For some reason, virtually every bar and restaurant in Denver plays music so loud that it makes it almost impossible to hear what the person right across the table from you is saying. Spanky's was packed, mainly with DU students, and for that reason I assume they all just text each other when they want to communicate, even though they are all at the same table. I would make a nasty remark about the younger generation, but that would make me sound like an old fogey. Which is not the case - I am a young fogey.

No comments:

Post a Comment