Wednesday, February 23, 2022

More About Four Mile House




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I took my sister Susan to visit Denver's Four Mile House, the oldest house in the city, a few Sundays ago. It was built in 1859 by two brothers, who intended to farm the property, but sold it the next year to a businesswoman who turned the place into an inn for travelers. When the Butterfield Stage Company began service in 1862, it became a stagecoach stop, and called Four Mile House because it was exactly four miles from Denver. The site is now an historical park with a living farm, and consists of 12 acres along Cherry Creek, which is just to the right of the pathway in the photograph on the left.






Although the farm also has horses, pigs, and chickens, it is the goats that are the most outgoing, especially the 6 Nigerian goats born last June that are used for goat-yoga. And yes, there is such a thing, and it is very popular here in Denver. I often wonder if I should move back to the South Side of Chicago, where I was born and raised, and introduce goat-yoga to the area, hopefully in conjunction with a traditional South Side tavern? And yes, if you participate in goat-yoga at the Four Mile Historic Park, you might very well have the goat in the photograph on the right standing on your back during the class. I am not sure why anyone would want that, but there you go.






As for the goat in the photograph on the left, I am not sure why it is standing on the windowsill of that barn, and am also not sure if it was able to get down from there without help. Since it was almost closing time, we did not stick around to find out. I guess if it doesn't have a yoga devotee to jump onto, a windowsill is the next best thing. Obviously, there are a lot of eccentric goats around and about - I am not sure if it is just Colorado (and no doubt California) goats who are afflicted, or if it is a nationwide thing. I'll have to research that on the internet one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment