Sunday, January 29, 2012

Wine Country Safari


Today I drove up to Muir Woods, north of San Francisco, to see the giant redwoods. Afterwards, I drove up to Sonoma to visit the wine country. I stopped at one of the oldest wineries in the State of California - Sebastiani's - to see what the wine tasting experience is all about. The only thing I know about wine tasting is from an old commercial featuring Paul Hogan, who starred in the movie Crocodile Dundee years ago. In the commercial, he watches a group of people standing around a table, sampling a bottle of wine, and afterwards spitting the wine into a bucket at the same time. "Blimey, that must have been a bad batch," says Paul. I learned today that nobody actually spits the wine out anymore. They drink it all down. In fact, the winery actually CHARGES FOR THE WINES! What a shock! In Denver, nobody charges for wine tastings. "Crappy, but free" is a very popular comment during these Denver tastings.

No comments:

Post a Comment