Thursday, September 13, 2012

Samsara - A Movie Review


I went to see Samsara - a "visual documentary" - at the Esquire Theater here in Denver tonight.  Due to my nocturnal schedule at the DU Bookstore, I wound up having to attend the 9:45 P.M. showing of the film.  This was the latest I had ever attended a movie since my then wife Lisa and I attended a late showing of "Chariots of Fire" oh so many years ago.  I know Chariots was a great film, but that night it seemed to last for about 10 hours - not as long as "Yental" seemed to last, but pretty darn close.  I could barely stay awake.  In any case, I had no such trouble with Samsara - it was riveting.  The photography was superb, and the subject matter went from awe-inspiring and fascinating to incredibly depressing.  Samsara was filmed in 25 countries over a 5 year period, and seeing the results up close on the big screen was a great experience.  I would recommend the film to anyone.  By the way, unfortunately, for all you Denver area movie buffs, Thursday was the film's last day here in town.  You snooze, you lose!

No comments:

Post a Comment