Monday, September 10, 2012

The First Day Of Classes!


Today was the first day of the fall quarter here at the University of Denver - my 29th fall "rush" at the DU Bookstore, I might add - and the store was busy all day.  I vividly remember my first fall rush.  It was just before the store moved from the old Carnegie Library Building to our present location in the Driscoll Center. There was a single charge machine for the entire store located at the information desk, and each cashier had to walk up to the counter if by chance a customer wanted to pay using a credit card.  I was told there would be very little business that evening, and so I had scheduled only a few cashiers after 4:30 P.M.  In fact, it turned out to be an extremely busy evening.  I remember getting Bill, a stockroom employee at the time, his wife Patty, a former store employee who was there to pick him up, and several other people I dragged off the street to cashier that evening.  We survived, but just barely.  It was a hard but valuable lesson I learned that evening: accept nothing at face value.  The definition of "busy," like many other things in life, is open to interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment