Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday


Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.  Although I am not Catholic, my mother was, and attended St. Anslem's Catholic Church on the South Side of Chicago when she was a child.  I took the above photograph a few years ago in front of that church, holding a photograph of my mother in her First Communion dress.  Since I wasn't raised Catholic, Lent never had much meaning for me, although it is an important event for many Catholics.  I remember once many years ago Annette, the General Merchandise Manager of the DU Bookstore at the time, gave up beer for Lent.  Talk about getting serious about religion.  It was a very traumatic 6 weeks,  at least for the rest of the staff.  As I recall, Annette was a bit on the crabby side during that period, but still got through it.  Although I must say, she never seemed quite the same afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment