Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Am Not Making This Up!


Dave Barry spoke at the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Lower Downtown Denver last night, and it was a tremendous success.  The place was packed, and with good reason.  Dave Barry has a wonderful sense of humor that makes his appearances a real treat.  Not only that, he is also very wily.  Most authors appear at the appointed time, speak for a while, and then sign books.  At this point, I usually get up and leave.  However, Barry obviously has the ability to see through a devoted cheapskate's plans.  Last night he showed up half-an-hour early and announced he was going to come into the audience and sign books right where we sat.  What are you going to say when he walks up to you and offers to personalize the book in your hand?  When he walked up to me, I told him that of course I wanted him to personalize the inscription .  He wrote "David, stay sane" and then signed his name on the title page.  His book is titled "Insane City," so I am sure he wrote the same thing in everyone's book, right?  Although I must say he did look at me pretty strangely as he handed the book back to me.  Probably just my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment