Saturday, June 8, 2013

Barbie Is Taking Some Serious Barbs


I went to the First Friday Art Walk down on Santa Fe Boulevard here in Denver last night to take in that lively art/party scene.  As usual, the streets and galleries were packed with people.  As I was exiting one of the galleries through the back door, I noticed a whole series of black and white photographs along the alley wall.  Several featured photographs of Barbie, and it made me recall a photo exhibit at the Redline Gallery this past March featuring Barbie performing a variety of deviant acts.  What's the deal with that?  The photograph above just shows her drinking heavily, which is understandable, considering the bad press she is getting.  It reminds me of that old television commercial featuring Pantene hair products, where model Kelly LeBrock says "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."  And no, I do not have a fantastic memory.  This commercial, believe it or not,  is still around on YouTube.  Talk about an amazing age.  Don't worry Kelly - I don't hate you!  Or you either, Barbie, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment