Sunday, February 9, 2014

Remembering Lewis Grizzard...


For some reason I have been thinking about Lewis Grizzard lately.  Grizzard was a nationally syndicated columnist from Atlanta before he passed away from heart trouble at the age of 48.  He was a big champion of the Waffle House, a southern breakfast chain that also serves inexpensive steaks.  Never having dined there before, I decided to give it a try yesterday afternoon.  Grizzard liked the fact that the steaks were cheap and the waitresses always called you "hon."  And as a matter of fact, the waitress this afternoon did repeatedly call me honey.  Plus, she told me I could have grits instead of hash browns with my steak if I preferred.  She must have recognized my Southern (Chicago) roots. By the way, the nearest Waffle House from my condo is just across the freeway from Highlands Ranch, Colorado, where I delivered mail for the past 6 months.  The only bad part of the meal was that I could hear the agonized ghostly cries of rural carriers past who were overcome by hypothermia during subzero cold waves and carried off by wolves. Not a problem, though, since the steak tasted pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment