Saturday, February 22, 2014

Remembering My Mother And Her Family



For most of the time I was growing up, my father's parents, as well as his brother and his brother's family, lived in California.  Therefore, I spent much more time with my mother's family.  And although our side of the Spillard family is gone now, I still have many fond memories of them.  Assuming my mother was around 8 years old when it was taken, the top photograph is from around 1924.  My Grandmother and Grandfather Spillard are in the back, while in the front (from left to right) are my mother, my Uncle Jack, and my Uncle Bill.  The bottom photograph was taken in November of 1968, on the occasion of my grandparent's 60th (I think) wedding anniversary party at our house in Country Club Hills, Illinois.  In the back row - once again - are my grandparents, William and Louise Spillard, and in the front row, on the couch, are my Uncle Jack, my mother Mary, and my Uncle Bill, all of them a little older and wiser than in the first photograph. The scary thing is that my mother was a mere 52 years old in this photo, my Uncle Bill was 59 (two years younger than I am now), and my Uncle Jack was even younger than that.  Also, that reminds me!  After reading a recent Blog post, my friend Stuart wants me to make sure everyone knows that I am actually two years older than he is, which means that while his first car may have been a Ford Model A, mine was the classic Model T.

No comments:

Post a Comment