Saturday, August 30, 2014

Final Friday At The DAM!


I went to the Final Friday event at the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) last night and as usual had a really nice time, although I must say I was a bit disappointed in the buffet, which consisted only of light snacks instead of the rather substantial hors d'oeuvres (and yes, I did have to look up the spelling on that one) served last time.  But beggars can't be choosers, as it says on the Hoyt Family Crest.  In any case, the museum is featuring an exhibition of 20th century Japanese prints and a retrospective of pop artist Tom Wesselmann's work, so it was well worth the price of admission (free for members).  In addition, Denver artist Tracy Weil gave several talks about his work. Weil seems like a pretty nice guy, and was very enthusiastic about exhibiting his work at the museum.  He is the founder of both the RiNo Art District here in Denver and the Denver County Fair, and exhibited Plexiglas chickens and a hen house (see photograph above) to fit in with the night's theme ("Roost").  The only negative part of the evening was that to take the photo, I steadied the camera on a shelf which turned out to be an important piece of modern art by Tucker Nichols.  To me it just looked like a wooden shelf with a few odd objects on it, but what do I know?  A security person rushed up to me and said that I couldn't lean on the art, and she would be happy to get me a chair, thinking to herself that the poor old guy is about to collapse.  No problem, miss.  I can still stand upright for many minutes at a time these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment