Friday, August 1, 2014

Book Project Update


I have to admit I have been pretty slow getting started on my next "Blurb Book" project, which will feature the Hoyt family, seen in the photograph above at the family reunion in Cannon Beach, Oregon several years ago.  Back in 1966 or so, I found a scrapbook and photo album under the stairs of my grandparent's home that belonged to my Great Aunt Violet Thayer, who passed away in 1910 at the age of 17.  The scrapbook contained dozens of picture postcards, filled with long ago correspondence between long gone relatives. The album also contained childhood artwork by Adam Boysen, my cousin, who was killed during WWII.  My goal is to put together a photo essay very similar to my international bestseller The Journey Home:  Returning to Chicago (http://www.blurb.com/b/1361398-the-journey-home-returning-to-chicago).  I finally was inspired to "get cracking" on this project after attending another family reunion in Cannon Beach this past 4th of July weekend.  I visited with all the relatives, took a lot of photographs, and had a lot of good talks with my Uncle Jack (third from the left in the above photograph) about the Hoyt family history.  Plus, all my cousins were really fascinated by the album and encouraged me to go ahead with the idea.  Best of all, I'll need to visit Chicago again to take more photographs for the book, not to mention Clear Lake, Iowa, which I hear is the "French Rivera" of Iowa and even more beautiful than the one in France.  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment