Monday, September 4, 2017

It's Labor Day! Time For A Taste Of Colorado!


Today is Labor Day, and all this weekend A Taste of Colorado has been taking place at Civic Center Park in downtown Denver.  I put in a few hours this past Saturday afternoon at the bookstore where I work, and afterwards stopped by the festival to walk around a bit.  I was surprised by how few people in the crowd had tattoos this year.  I often jokingly refer to this event as A Taste of Tattoos, but there is a tattoo convention going on at the Colorado Convention Center this weekend, and so I assume the tattoo people are all there.  In any case, the Taste of Colorado is almost the exact same event as The People's Fair, which takes place in this same park the weekend after Memorial Day, but both events draw big crowds.  Attendance is free, families can bring the kids, the older kids can bring themselves, and the people watching is pretty damn good for everyone else.


This year the carnival part of the fair was significantly expanded just in front of the state capitol, and there was a carnival midway with traditional carny games, too.  I even spotted a flying saucer which people were entering in droves, which probably explains all those alien types I saw walking around the grounds. In any case, they still have the gizmo in the photograph on the right, which launches young children high up into the air and scares their little heads off.  It seems to be a particular favorite of parents, for some reason. The main feature is, of course, the food, and restaurants from all over the area have booths set up, where they serve their specialties.  I myself have never once tried the food here - tickets are on sale at a cost of $10 for 15 tickets, but they insist on cash only.  Who carries cash these days? Certainly not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment