Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Running Into Doug





I ran into Doug - my friend and former University of Denver Bookstore coworker - at the Barnes and Noble Bookstore on South Colorado Boulevard here in Denver Sunday night.  I needed a large map of India right away (and who hasn't been in that situation before, right?) and the local bookstore where I work was out of them, forcing me to shop at a hated rival.  In any case, I walked in and saw none other than Doug having coffee with a friend at the adjoining Starbucks.  Doug was one of the textbook buyers at the DU Bookstore when I worked there as the Finance Manager, and remained at the store as the sole textbook buyer after Follett Higher Education Group took over operation of the store. Doug retired a few years ago after tiring of the 16 hour (or so) workdays and now works 2 days a week as a magician at The Wizard's Chest, a Denver institution. Unfortunately, Doug does not want his photograph taken any more - at least by me - and therefore I have to dig into the archives to find photographs I took of him a few years ago. I came up with a DU Bookstore collage that I made while taking a photo class at DU.  Doug can be seen in the upper left hand corner, his face superimposed on a cow, and also being strangled by then marketing coordinator Dave and textbook buyer Mary.  I wonder why Doug won't let me take his photograph anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment