Monday, September 25, 2017

Oktoberfest - Part II


As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I went to Oktoberfest on Denver's upper Larimer Street Friday night. The festival takes place Friday through Sunday, both this past weekend and next weekend as well, but I decided to go Friday night because the weather bunnies predicted horrible weather for Saturday and Sunday.  And in point of fact, they were right.  Friday, the first day of fall, was warm and pleasant, but both Saturday and Sunday were cold, wet, and miserable.  In any case, in addition to plenty of beer there were lots of food booths at Oktoberfest, including the one in the photograph on the left.  And in examining the tee-shirt of the fellow grilling the hamburgers, I realized that the booth was being run by The Goods, the restaurant right next door to the bookstore where I work.  The chalkboard sign in front of the bookstore claims that they serve the world's greatest hamburgers, so I imagine they are at Oktoberfest trying to get the word out about that.



And in addition to food and beer, there was music on two stages.  The photograph on the right is of a "poka" band performing Friday night.  While I was there, I had no idea they were playing polka music.  It sounded just like loud rock and roll music to me.  It wasn't until I looked at this photo and noticed the word "poka" on the drum that I realized they were supposed to be a polka band.  What ever happened to the um-pah style of music played by musicians in lederhosen and wearing funny hats?  Out of style, I guess.  If it doesn't appeal to the hipsters these days, it is gone.  Where is Frankie Yankovic when you need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment