Sunday, October 25, 2020

A Long Ago Visit To Galesburg






I ran across a couple of photographs taken many years ago in Galesburg, Illinois. The one on the left is of me. And no, I was NOT there for the Lincoln - Douglas debate. As can plainly be seen, there is an automobile in the background, which disproves that theory. If I had to guess, the photo was taken in 1959, when my mother Mary, father Nelson, and myself drove to Galesburg to take my sister Susan to Knox College, where she was about to start classes.



Susan did not graduate from Knox, although she really loved the school. She wound up finishing her degree at Loyola University, on Chicago's north side. The photograph on the right was taken of her in May of 1960 in the kitchen of her sorority. Susan is on the far left in the photograph, and I have to state here and now that I have NEVER seen her look that happy drying dishes before or since.  After leaving Knox, Susan took a brief break and lived with about 10 roommates in a house on Sedgewick Street, near Chicago's Lincoln Park, before attending Loyola. I remember telling her that when I visited Chicago back in 2010 and walked down Sedgewick, I did not see that house there anymore. She told me she was not surprised, and that it was probably consumed by roaches years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment