Monday, October 12, 2020

Columbus Day!


Today is Columbus Day, which used to be a school holiday in the City of Chicago. October 12th is still a school holiday there, but starting this year, it is now known as Indigenous People's Day. Politics aside, I just hated school, and welcomed every school holiday, including Columbus Day. I attended Fort Dearborn Grammar School, as did my sister Susan and mother Mary, which was located in the Southside Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. The photograph above is my official 7th grade class portrait. I can be seen in the middle row on the far left, looking a bit disconcerted. Along the bottom, it says the photo was taken in February of 1965. I was probably thinking it was going to be a long long time until June and summer vacation. If only I could have run away and joined the circus. I might have wound up as an elected official, or even president, by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment