Monday, May 17, 2021

A Major League Baseball Update


As of this morning, my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, have the best record in major league baseball. I watched three of their games this past weekend, and began to think I might be a jinx to the team. After a long winning streak, they lost the first game of a doubleheader on Friday against the Kansas City Royals, and just barely held on to win the second game. On Saturday night, they managed only 3 hits and lost 5-1. I was sure they would lose yesterday's game, too, but they came from behind in the bottom of the 9th inning to win in exciting fashion. Kansas City's closer, Wade Davis, threw a wild pitch, and Jose Abreu ran home from third base to win the game on an extremely close play. I guess I am not a jinx after all. And by the way, seeing Wade Davis in action reminded me that last year he was the closer for the Colorado Rockies, who released him after he finished with a 20.77 ERA, which is bad bad bad. He seems to be a much better pitcher for the Royals this year, while the Rockies are the worst team in the National League. They occasionally play good baseball, such as the day I sat in McGregor Square and watched them on the big screen, as seen above, but only occasionally. I still think it will be a long season for both them and Colorado Rockies fans. To paraphrase (by which I mean steal from) the late Chicago newspaper columnist Mike Royko - who was actually referring to the Chicago Cubs - you win some, you lose some, but with the Rockies, you mostly lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment