Saturday, May 15, 2021

The Heartbreak Of Separation Anxiety


My sister Susan's dog Blackberry suffers from a severe case of separation anxiety. I first noticed this when we took a trip with Blackberry and Susan's other dog, Tutu, to Santa Fe, New Mexico a few years back. Whenever Susan went into a shop and I stayed outside with the dogs, Blackberry would emit barks, whine, and stare intently into that shop until Susan came outside. And when we took Blackberry along with us on Susan's errands this past Thursday, she did the same thing. Susan went into the local King Soopers Grocery Store to drop off a prescription, and I stayed outside with Blackberry, who once again barked, whined, and stood up on her hind legs and stared into the store entrance until Susan returned. When we went back to pick up the prescription, I decided to stay in the car with Blackberry, to avoid all that emotional stress. Blackberry still spent the entire time staring at the store's entrance, as seen in the photograph above, waiting for Susan's return. I have suggested many times to Susan that she hire a doggie psychiatrist, to help Blackberry deal with these issues, but Susan steadfastly refuses. I can't imagine why.

No comments:

Post a Comment