Sunday, May 16, 2021

More Stuart Florida Nostalgia




I took the photograph on the left of my sister Susan and mother Mary back in 1995, when Susan and I were visiting our mother down in Stuart, Florida. It was taken at Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty, as the sign in the background says, no doubt in an effort to get a little free publicity. Stuart, by the way, can be seen just across the St. Lucie River in the far background. Sadly, Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty was hit by two Category 3 hurricanes back in 2004 and never reopened. The last time I was in Stuart, I checked out the site, and it was just a vacant lot - no building, no marina, no more early bird specials. And do they even have early bird specials in Florida anymore, or is the early bird special generation almost all gone?





On that same trip, we also had a passerby take the photograph on the right of the three of us at Stuart Beach, where we used to go for a few hours each day before heading back home for dinner. And once again, I am wearing one of my favorite shirts, which I actually still have in my closet. This coming August, it will be at least 26 years old, and probably a lot older. I would have to go through all my Florida snapshots to pinpoint it's exact age. Waste not, want not, I always say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment