Sunday, July 23, 2023

Has The Kingdom Finally Lost Its Magic?





It is no secret that the Walt Disney Company is in the middle of a culture war with Florida Governor and Presidential Candidate Ron DeSantis, who is trying hard to punish Disney for its political stances, despite the fact that Disney World is responsible for half the tourism in the State of Florida and is its biggest or second-biggest employer. Disney is actually struggling as a company, and expects earnings to be down 30% this year. However, the theme parks are doing very well indeed, with parent's still willing to spend their children's college money to take them there. I have visited Walt Disney World at least twice, and must say it is not my favorite vacation experience. I have also visited Epcot with my then wife Lisa, back in the mid-1980s, where Lisa took the photograph of me on the left looking like I had finally had my fill of the place, at least during this lifetime. And what is that in the background? Is it Cinderella's Castle? Did we jump the fence and sneak into Walt Disney World? Or is it some German castle in the World Showcase section of the park? I have no idea - my memory seems to be going even faster than I thought.




Disney's World Showcase, by the way, consists of 11 pavilions, each featuring a different country. I think I took the photo on the right of Lisa in the hell-themed pavilion. It was interesting to see what it would be like to wind up there. As I recall, right after that, we headed back to Stuart, Florida (a two hour drive from Orlando), where were were staying at my mother Mary's condo. Stuart has a charming old town, is surrounded by water everywhere, and has great beaches, where there is a steady breeze off the ocean to help cool you down during the mid-August heat, unlike back in Orlando, where the temperature feels like it is even hotter than the actual hell. At least that particular exhibit seems authentic.


No comments:

Post a Comment