Monday, July 3, 2023

The 2023 Cherry Creek Arts Festival




I went to the Cherry Creek Arts Festival yesterday afternoon, along with what seemed like the entire population of Denver, and enjoyed it very much. This is one of the nation's top art festivals, and attracts artists from all across the country. As usual, I focused on photography, and visited the booths of all 18 photographers displaying their work. I especially liked the photographs by Igor Menaker, who featured many traditional black and white images of Chicago (https://www.menaker.com/), the photographs of Europe by Darren Olson (http://darrenolson.com/), and especially the work of Ken Laffal, who was featuring images, including portraits, from all over the world. I could not find a web site for Laffal, who is 75 and exhibits at a lot of festivals, but who I assume is not interested in the miracle of the information super highway. I definitely get it.




As for the rest of the art, a lot of it was very good, which is not surprising, since there is a lot of competition to show your work at this festival. However, as usual, there was a lot of art that I thought was pretty stupid, and wondered why it had been selected for exhibit by the selection committee. Of course, many of these booths were filled with people oohing and aahing over these works, and so I assume I do not have much of a futurre as an art critic. And as usual, everything seemed to cost a bloody fortune. Some of the photographs were priced at over $4,000. Of course, this is not surprising, since this event was being held in Cherry Creek, a neighborhood where price is no object. There were also a lot of food booths and food trucks around, but I did not even look at the prices. I just assumed it was all unaffordable. And surprisingly, I did not see a single Giant Turkey Leg stand. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment