Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Return Of The Ugly American?


As I mentioned in a previous blog post, Europe is expected to be crowded with Americans this summer, and all those tourists will be experiencing major sticker shock when they arrive. Do people in Europe resent the huge influx of Americans crowding their museums, restaurants, and tourist attractions? I must say, it was pretty damned crowded when my sister Susan and I visited France and Italy back in May of 2019, but instead of the "Ugly American," it seemed to be hoards of selfie-taking Japanese tourists that drew the most wrath from residents. Whatever they think, no one should be casting stones. I took the photograph above of Susan, posing in front of an advertising poster on the window of a beauty products store in Paris, when we visited there in 2019. That poster shows a woman with a variety of fruit plastered all over her face-creamed covered face. The English translation of the caption is "All our beauty products come from a garden." To me, that proves just one thing - the French can be pretty damn weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment