Sunday, September 3, 2017

More On First Friday



As I mentioned in yesterday's Blog, I attended the First Friday monthly art walk on Santa Fe Boulevard here in Denver Friday night, along with throngs of other people.  Sadly, the main photo gallery on the street, John Fielder Photography, has closed, leaving only one small shop, The Fastidious Fotog (seen in the photo on the left), dedicated solely to photography. I walked past the space where Fielder's gallery was located, and strangely enough the doors were open.  The place was completely empty, nothing but a cement floor, but was strung with Christmas lights.  A table was set up with a laptop on it, and three people were sitting there.  Since it was obvious they were exhibiting nothing, I just walked on by.



But sometimes exhibiting nothing is preferable to exhibiting something.  I have often looked up at the window on the second floor of this building (see photo on the right), looking at the people admiring what is displayed there.  I myself have inadvertently walked up there several times, and have quickly walked out.  As you can see, however, there are at least five people so taken with the "art work" that they are sitting down to admire it at length.  Makes me think I must get a gallery of my own once I retire. It looks like you can display anything and get an audience.  And I do not mean that in any kind of a negative way.



And for all you child labor fans out there, the little girl who was performing in front of Metropolitan State University's Center for Visual Arts last month was back this month too, singing and playing her guitar in front of the Spark Gallery, as her father manned the sound system .  The cost of living has skyrocketed here in Denver recently, and so I imagine everyone in the family has to do their part to pay the mortgage on their pricey homes.  I also notice that many of Denver's residents drive BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and Lexuses (Lexi?), and the payments on those do not come cheap either.  Hopefully her parents let her keep at least a little bit of the tip money.  And by the way, her rendition of Folsom Prison was actually quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment