Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The First Day Of School



Yesterday was the day after Labor Day, which is the first day of school in the City Of Chicago, as opposed to here in Denver, where classes begin in mid-August.  I myself attended Fort Dearborn Grammar School, located in the south side Chicago neighborhood of Brainerd, which is where I grew up. I was never crazy about school, and having to go back the day after Labor Day was depressing enough, let alone having to start school in mid-August, which to me is the heart of summer. My fondest memories of school were in June, looking out the windows of the classroom and counting the days until classes let out for the year.  Kindergarten was okay, I guess, but as I recall,  it only lasted half a day, which was just enough for me.  And as you can see, I looked pretty chipper back then, sitting in the front row on the far left side in the photograph on the left.




By 7th grade, however, I thought school was a drag, as can be seen from my expression in the photograph on the right (I am once again on the far left, in the middle row}.  In my opinion, high school was not much better, and I wasn't crazy about college, either, although I decided to keep torturing  myself and get an MBA from the University of Denver (I worked there, and so could attend for free, and free to a cheapskate is irresistible). Come to think about it, working for a living is not all that great, either.  And so I have great hopes for retirement. Free at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment