Thursday, April 25, 2024

Death & Company. Linger If You Must





When I was walking through Denver's River North (RiNo) neighborhood last week, I passed the Ramble Hotel, home of Death and Company. The original Death and Company is located in East Village, Manhattan, and is famous for "leading the craft cocktail movement," whatever the hell that might be. They opened here in Denver back in 2016. I have no idea why it is called Death and Company, but it definitely seems like bad karma to me. I have never been inside the place - the menu on its website does not feature any prices ("if you have to ask"), which is all I need to know, and so will not be rambling into the Ramble anytime soon. The entrance to the bar can be seen in the photo on the left.



Another example of bad karma is a restaurant called Linger, located in the former Olinger Mortuary in Denver's Lower Highlands (LoHi) neighborhood. This place I have visited, years ago, to check out their rooftop bar. It was said to have one of the best views in Denver, although I can't remember being all that impressed. I also remember that they only had beer in cans - nothing on tap -which was also not too impressive. Putting a restaurant in a former mortuary seems a very strange thing, but it has been around now for almost 15 years, and so I guess it is a success. This place does have prices on its menu, and seems to feature small plates, reasonably priced but nothing I would ever consider eating (let's face it, I am not a gourmet). The mortuary was named Olinger, and so the name Linger is simply Olinger without the O. And it took me only five years or so to realize that. The building's claim to fame is that Buffalo Bill's body spent six months there back in 1917. There was a dispute about where he would be buried, which probably accounts for the extended stay, but that is a whole different story. And as you can see in the photograph on the right, Little Man Ice Cream is located right next door to Linger. I myself would recommend going there instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment