Sunday, April 21, 2024

Missing The Florida Weather On A Cold And Snowy Weekend




It has been a cold and snowy weekend here in Denver, and when that happens, I start thinking about Stuart, Florida, where my sister Susan and I own a condo we inherited from our mother Mary that we have been renting out for the past 15 years. We hope to soon take the place back from our tenants, and finally be able to head down there on the spur of the moment whenever we want. Over the years I have thought about doing just that, knocking on our tenant's door, and asking if they would mind us "crashing" at the place for a few days or weeks. However, I suspect that request might not be well-received. I guess we will just have to wait until our tenants find new lodgings, which I hope will be soon rather than later. And the first evening we are there, I intend to head to the Jolly Sailor, an outside bar next to The Sailor's Return, an upscale restaurant at Sunset Bay Marina, and seen in the photograph on the left.




The Jolly Sailor has a great view of the boats in the marina, as seen in the photograph on the right. Back when our mother was alive and living in Stuart, The Jolly Sailor Restaurant was a fixture in downtown Stuart, and featured a traditional black London hackney cab parked in front. The owners closed it, I suspect, due to the increased cost of leasing in what is now known as Old Town Stuart. They eventually opened The Sailor's Return at the marina, which includes that wonderful outdoor bar named in honor of their former restaurant. It is my favorite place to have a beer, gaze at all the boats, and watch the sunset over the St. Lucie River before heading home for dinner. The Sailor's Return is known for its excellent cuisine, which also means it is beyond my budget, except for special occasions, such as the installation of a new Pope. And being the cheapskate that I am, even then I'll have to seriously think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment