Friday, September 5, 2014

A Mystery Novel Set In Bayfield County!


I attended a talk and autographing by Kent Krueger last night at the Tattered Cover Bookstore to hear him speak about Windigo Island, his new mystery novel set in none other than Bayfield County, Wisconsin, where I happen to own 40 acres of prime forestland.  I had never heard of Krueger before, even though this is his 14th book in the Cork O'Connor mystery series.  I leafed through the book, and it features the towns of Bayfield and Washburn, both located along the shores of Lake Superior, and such local landmarks as the Bayfield Inn, where my family has dined in years gone by.  My grandfather purchased those 40 acres south of the town of Herbster, Wisconsin back in 1918, and they have been in the family ever since.  Because the taxes are getting prohibitively expensive these days, I was thinking that if Krueger sets his novels there, he might be willing to buy the land from me, perhaps for the bargain price of half a million dollars. Unfortunately, it appears the Bayfield setting was just a one time thing, and all his other books are set in Northern Minnesota.  I realized immediately that there would not be a half million dollar windfall, but was sitting in the second row and could not escape.  Damn Minnesotans.

No comments:

Post a Comment