Sunday, September 14, 2014

More Florida Nostalgia...




Many years after I took the Florida Keys photographs displayed on yesterday's Blog - during an August visit to Stuart, Florida - I drove my sister Susan, mother Mary, and myself to Fort Lauderdale to check out their famous Riverwalk.  Afterwards, we drove to the Bahia Mar Marina - home of John D. McDonald's fictional hero Travis McGee and his houseboat, The Busted Flush - to take a cruise on the Jungle Queen.  We had a wonderful time, cruising past huge mansions and up the New River to an island in the "wilds" of Fort Lauderdale, where various monkeys and exotic birds were on display.  The photo taken of us on the left is one of my favorites, a precious memory of a very happy day, although I am still laughing at the photograph I posted yesterday of my sister - now a health food fanatic - eating the fast-food hamburger she insisted on having, instead of one of the sandwiches my father had made for the trip.  I distinctly remember saying that I wanted to record the moment for posterity, and I did.  My sister used to call me "little snot face" back then, and when I think about it, maybe I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment