Saturday, September 13, 2014

It's Florida Nostalgia Weekend!


Several weeks ago when my sister and I were down in Stuart, Florida getting our condo there ready to re-rent, I took a photograph of my sister choosing just the right orange juice at the Downtown Publix grocery store.  It reminded me of the photograph I took of my father many years ago at the local Stuart Winn Dixie, and I had originally planned to feature them today on this Blog.  However, on second thought, I decided that portraits in grocery stores probably have limited appeal (in other words, only to me), and so I decided instead to feature several photographs of a trip from Stuart to Key West, Florida that my mother, father, sister, and I took back in the 1970s.  The top photograph was taken at a rest stop near Marathon, Florida, a town about half way down the Florida Keys.  I remember my sister insisting on a Burger King or McDonald's hamburger for lunch instead of the sandwiches my father fixed, which I find quite amusing today now that she is such a health food fanatic. The picture on the left was taken later that afternoon in Key West.  We visited Ernest Hemingway's home, walked down Duval Street, and even went to Mallory Square to applaud the sunset and watch the street performers.  However, the next morning the weather looked so threatening that my father insisted on driving back to Stuart right after breakfast.  Actually, I suspect he really just wanted to get back to his condo in Stuart, which he and my mother loved so much, and which is the one we are hoping to rent to some lucky soul at a bargain price.

No comments:

Post a Comment