Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Denver's Best Dive Bars...


I saw a book on the bargain table at the bookstore where I work titled Denver's Best Dive Bars.  I leafed through it, and was tempted to buy it, but realized that virtually every place it listed I had been in or knew about - surprise!  And in point of fact, many of the places listed I do not consider dive bars at all.  One I do think of as a dive bar is The Satire Lounge, located on East Colfax Avenue, just down the street from where I work.  I stopped and took a photograph of it last night to put on this Blog, showing its famous neon sign.  And as I have mentioned before, there is a movement here in Denver to declare the neon signs on Colfax an historical landmark, in order to save them for posterity (we like neon here).  But I digress.  Denver's Best Dive Bar's also lists the Casa Bonita, an all your can eat Mexican restaurant catering to the tourist crowd.  I don't even think they have a bar, and I couldn't understand why it was listed.  Then Peter, my office mate, pointed out that the Casa Bonita's main claim to fame is it's cliff divers, who dive off an artificial cliff into a pool below, as dinners sit at their tables and watch.  And so it is a "dive" bar.  Very funny. Another example of Denver humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment