Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The Day After Labor Day - Back To School


Today is the day after Labor Day. Back when I was a kid attending Fort Dearborn Grammar School, in the Southside Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, this was the day summer vacation ended and school started up once again. This was a truly depressing time for me. When school let out in June, it seemed like summer vacation would last forever, but it never does. In any case, I took the photograph above of some of my friends on the way home from school, at the edge of Brainerd Park, back in the 1960s. The kid on the right is Neil Finn, who lived on my block on Aberdeen Street, and I think the one in the center is one of the Kloak kids, who lived across the alley, but I can’t remember the name of the one on the left. Perhaps it is a sign of early Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment