Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Desert Star


For my birthday last month, my sister Susan gave me a copy of Desert Star, the latest Renee Ballard/Harry Bosch detective novel by Michael Connelly. This story finds Ballard appointed to head the cold case unit of the Los Angeles Police Department, and she recruits Bosch to work as a volunteer to help solve some of these crimes, included the murder of a family that remained unsolved at the time of Bosch's retirement and which he has obsessed about ever since. Another case with top priorty is solving the murder of the sister of an LA councilman, who was instrumental in putting the cold case unit back in operation after being disbanded several years previously. I really enjoyed reading this book. Connelly always writes a great story, although I was kind of shocked to find that at the end of the book it is revealed that Harry has cancer and is only expected to live a few more months. Connelly has been writing Harry Bosch novels for 30 years, but insists on ageing him in real time, which now makes Harry 72 years old. But kill him off? I have to admit that I am very much afraid to read Connelly's next installment in the series. Say it ain't so Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment