Thursday, February 2, 2023

Taking A Walk Past Grant-Frontier Park



I went for a walk along the Platte River, seen in the photograph on the left, yesterday afternoon, starting at Grant-Frontier Park, which marks the location of Montana City, the first pioneer settlement in the Denver area. Hopes of finding gold in the area quickly faded, and the settlers moved downriver to the confluence of the Platte and Cherry Creek, an area which soon became the City of Denver. I strolled along a bike and walking path that parallels the river, which was pleasant enough, but the area is mostly industrial, which tends to detract from the ambiance. All these factories wind up polluting the river, which flows down to Confluence Park in Lower Downtown Denver, a very popular spot for swimming and tubing during the summer, despite extremely high levels of e-coli in the water.




As I was walking along the river, I spotted what I think were two dogs, seen in the photograph on the right. They were running free, and I began to wonder if they might be coyotes. I have never seen a coyote before, and have no idea if they were or not. I am originally from the South Side of Chicago, where coyotes are in short supply. They could have just been wild dogs, or pets allowed to run free by their owner. The best way to find out would have been to simply walk up and pat them on the head, give them a scratch behind the ears, and see how they responded. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the river and didn't have a chance to do that. Perhaps next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment