Sunday, February 26, 2023

Photographing Surprise Celebrities At The DAM




I mentioned to my sister Susan the other day that I took a photograph of Toulouse-Lautrec at the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) about 11 years ago, back when they had a special exhibition of his work, and she actually didn't believe me. I had to go through my collection of external hard drives to find that photo, but I did, as seen on the left. I remember Henri being more than happy to pose for the camera, and I must say he looked pretty good for his age. To parphrase Mark Twain, the reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.




I also ran into Fidel Castro at the museum on Halloween back in 2014. I was in a group listening to one of the DAM's staff members talk about her experiences with various ghosts, including no less than Anne Boleyn, noticed Castro and his wife standing next to me, and took the photo on the right. I eavesdropped on their conversation, and evidently Fidel and his wife, Posh Castro, were looking for a house in Denver. I am not sure if they found a place here or not. I suspect this was around the time he retired and turned the running of Cuba over to his brother Raul. I know it was Halloween and all, but I think it was really him. You just never know who you might run into at the DAM.


No comments:

Post a Comment