Monday, February 13, 2023

The Acme Lofts


I drove past the Acme Lofts in Lower Downtown Denver the other day, heading for the King Soopers grocery store on Speer Boulevard, and snapped the photograph above while waiting for the light to change. Years ago, when Lower Downtown first started to be gentrified, I saw a loft for sale in that buiulding (on the right in the photo) for seventy thousand dollars or so (I think). It was a one bedroom loft, and I decided to pass on it without even requesting a tour. I knew that two bedroom condos were much easier to sell, and also that a two bedroom unit would come in handy in the future, which it definitely did, after my mother Mary and later my sister Susan came to live with me. I suspect the value of that place has gone through the roof, but on the other hand, I have long since decided that living downtown is not all it's cracked up to be, especially in Lower Downtown, where lately, after the bars close at 2:00 A.M., people have, just for fun, started shooting at each other, and who knows where those stray bullets might land. A bargain is often not really a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment