Saturday, July 6, 2019

Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Tim Dorsey? Definitely Not!



I just finished reading No Sunscreen For The Dead, Tim Dorsey's latest wacky Serge Storms novel. When I started the book, I thought I was at the point of overdosing on the series, but I was wrong. Very wrong. This time Serge, the serial killer with a heart of gold and a Florida trivia buff - along with his drug addled friend Coleman - decide to help senior citizens who have been taken by unscrupulous salesmen, and otherwise victimized.  At first the book seemed like all the others, but then it turned into a spy thriller.  An exciting spy thriller, and I really enjoyed reading it. Plus, I learned several interesting facts from this book.  For one thing, there are 120,000 residents in The Villages, a retirement community near Ocala, Florida, which I visited with my friends Anna Silvia and Joe a few years ago.  Also, there is actually an Amish community in Sarasota, Florida. Who would have thunk it?



And by the way - Dorsey's previous book, The Pope of Palm Beach, which I reviewed on this blog a few months ago - takes place around Florida's Treasure Coast, which is where my sister Susan and my condo is located.  I recently went through some photographs that my mother Mary (who lived in Stuart, Florida for almost 30 years) had collected, one of which was of my sister Susan on a boat heading up the Loxahatchee River to Trapper Nelson's cabin, which is featured prominently  in the Pope of Palm Beach. My mother  wanted to entertain us while we were down visiting her one August, and treated us to a cruise at Loxahatchee State Park, just a few miles south of Stuart.  It is well worth visiting if you happen to be in the area. You ride a pontoon boat up one of the last wild rivers in Florida, passing all kinds of wildlife along the way. And you don't even have to read the book to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment