Saturday, July 27, 2019

My Parent's Anniversary



Today would have been my parents Nelson and Mary's 79th wedding anniversary if they were still alive today.  They got married in 1940, and my sister Susan came along two years later, in 1942, during the darkest days of World War II (I, of course, am much younger). In any case, I am not sure when the above photograph was taken, but it is exactly how I remember them when I was growing up back in Chicago.  My father was drafted around 1944, and was sent to Okinawa, where he served as a dentist in a MASH unit (and by the way, he told me once that the television series of the same name was exactly how it really was), and came back in 1948.  He and my mother and sister Susan lived with my mother's parents (my Grandmother and Grandmother Spillard) for a year until they moved into our house in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago.  My mother loved that house so much that she hated to go on vacation. I guess living with your parents like that can be hard, especially with a young child, and especially so if that young child happened to be my sister Susan. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment