Sunday, July 7, 2019

Rocky Mountain Jaguars




No - not the animals.  The automobiles.  My friend Mark is a car enthusiast, and belongs to the Rocky Mountain Jaguar Club (http://rockymountainjaguarclub.org/).  He does not actually own a Jaguar, and so when I saw the Jaguar XKE in the photo on the left parked in front of Reivers Bar and Grill on Old South Gaylord Street here in Denver, I took a photograph of it, suggesting he make an offer. It is a 1966 model, and I remember as a kid going with my parents to the auto show at McCormick Place in Chicago and admiring it.  All three of us were overwhelmed by the price, which was something like $6,000.  What kind of person could possibly afford to pay that for a car?



In any case, Mark sent me a photograph of a 1962 MK II Jaguar that I think is pretty nice, too.  The problem with these cars is that they have a reputation for being very unreliable.  It makes me think of the trolley ride I took up in Fort Collins on the 4th of July, where the mechanic was on board and was called on to fix the train mid-ride. I think that is what you have to do with Jaguars, too.  If you are taking the car out, be sure to pick up your mechanic to avoid getting stuck somewhere.  As for this 1962 model, I am sure Mark could pick it up for at most a few thousand, since new models were selling for $6,000 back in the day.  Cars depreciate, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment