Thursday, January 23, 2020

A Chilly Day At The Denver Zoo









Although it was cloudy and chilly here in Denver today, I decided to head to the Denver Zoo anyway, because for one thing, I am not going to let a little bad weather distract me from my plans, and for another, because I didn't have anything to put on my blog the next two days.  When I got there, I saw that the zoo had left open the doors to most of the animal's inside quarters (I was going to say cages, but that would have painted an entirely different picture), allowing them to choose whether to be inside or out.  A number of them seemed to want to just hang out in the doorway, such as the giraffe in the photograph on the left.






The teenage lions seemed to be undecided about whether to stay in or out, too - one minute they would be outside, lounging around the rocks in their compound, and the next minute they would be inside, roaring at God knows what, the sound magnified by the echo in their chamber.  One of them can be seen in the photograph on the right, checking out the scene in the doorway before once again venturing outside.




The rhinoceros in the photograph on the left did venture past the doorway, but not far, refusing to go into the main compound, no doubt so that it could quickly head back to it's heated  suite (I use the word loosely here, but let's face it - it is far more comfortable than out in the wild).  In any case, many of the animals that were outside had their back to zoo visitors and did not seem to want to pose for photographs.  I suppose bad weather makes even wild animals grumpy.  Zoo personal definitely need to give them some special treats on days like this - hopefully that will make them less crabby.  It definitely works with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment