Thursday, January 16, 2020

Nobody Here But Us Chickens



I recently went for a walk in Denver's Lower Highlands neighborhood, and was amazed at all the new, upscale apartment buildings and condos that are being built there.  One of the people I worked with at the Tattered Cover Bookstore owns a house there - the house where she grew up, as a matter of fact - and has has often complained about the hipster crowds, the lack of parking, and the high taxes in the neighborhood now.  She says she longs for the old days, when the neighborhood was filled with crack houses, but was uncrowded and had low, low taxes. However, not all of the area is gentrified, as can be seen in the above photograph, which shows a backyard where someone is actually raising chickens.  I assume they are doing this to help pay those big tax bills. There must be a lot of money in eggs.  In fact, I think I should consider raising some on the balcony of my condo, in order to help make ends meet.  I wonder if the HOA would object?  Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment