Saturday, April 25, 2020

Both Good And Bad News On The Pandemic Front




Some states are starting to loosen restrictions instituted to stop the spread of the coronavirus, also affectionately known as COVID-19.  Most of these states are doing this gradually, in order to not cause a new coronavirus surge. However, in  Georgia, they are going full steam ahead.  As of Monday, restaurant dining rooms will reopen, as well as other retail businesses.  And when I think of Georgia, I think of Savannah, one of my all time favorite cities.  It has been quite a few years since I have been there, but since it is such a beautiful and historic place and strives to maintain it's unique character, I'm sure it looks just the same.  The photograph on the left is of my mother standing on what is called The Factors Walk, overlooking the Savannah River.





Savannah is about a 6 hour drive from Stuart, Florida, where my mother Mary and father Nelson retired to in 1976 from our home in Chicago. When I visited them back in November of 1978, we decided to drive up to Savannah and Charleston one weekend, which is when I took these photos.  Both of those cities are well worth a visit if you have never been there.  It is like taking a time machine back to colonial America.  In any case, most health experts feel reopening Georgia so quickly is a very bad idea, including the mayor of Savannah, but the governor has ruled that mayors cannot override his order to reopen the state, which means people in Savannah can now go out and about and dine at their favorite restaurants. Speaking of which, the photograph on the right is of my mother and father in front of the Shrimp Factory on River Street in Savannah, which is lined with shops and restaurants located in what used to be cotton warehouses along the river.  And if you happen to be in Savannah during the pandemic, I am sure you can dine at the Shrimp Factory (it is still operating) or another restaurant in town and find a meal to die for.  Perhaps literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment