Sunday, April 19, 2020

Speaking Of World's Fair Hotels...



Yesterday I wrote a blog post about the Hotel Ingram, built to accommodate tourists visiting the World's Columbian Exposition, which took place in Chicago back in 1893.  Another World's Fair hotel was H.H. Holmes "Murder Castle," which was featured prominently in Erik Larson's non-fiction book The Devil in the White City.  H.H. Holmes was America's first serial killer.  Holmes built a hotel on the South Side of Chicago to attract tourists attending the World's Columbian Exposition, and there he murdered at least 9 people, and probably many more.  Recently, I found on the internet what appears to be a souvenir postcard of that "castle," as seen above.  I am not sure why anyone would want to send someone a postcard of a "murder castle," but it takes all kinds, I guess.  The hotel was located at the corner of 63rd and Wallace Streets, where the Englewood post office now sits.  This location is not too many miles away from where the Hotel Ingram was located, and is, in fact, a mere 3 blocks away from St. Bernard Hospital, where I was born back in 1953.  No connection, of course.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment