Thursday, April 2, 2020

Exercising During The Pandemic





I drove out to beautiful, exotic, but still pretty damn boring Lakewood, Colorado yesterday afternoon to get a little exercise and go for a walk with my friend Stuart, seen in the photograph on the left standing on a bluff overlooking that Denver suburb. We walked around the neighborhood for a while looking at houses.  Stuart tells me he is tired of apartment life, and is considering buying a place in the Applewood neighborhood, which unfortunately is still part of Lakewood.  And by no means do I want to imply anything negative about that proud city.  Personally, I just love suburban sprawl.








Before heading out to Lakewood, I was able to bike from my condo across from the University of Denver to lower downtown and around Coors Field (home of the Colorado Rockies) before heading back home.  As usual, there were a lot of people out exercising in Washington Park, and a lot of bicyclists throughout the city, such as the one in the photograph on the right with a dog riding in a basket in the back.  Personally, I think that that biker should consider walking the dog instead of driving it around on the back of his bike, but I am, after all, getting old, and am a bit old fashioned.







Once I got to Denver's 16th Street Mall and proceeded to Lower Downtown (LoDo), I saw a few people walking around, but not many. The plaza in front of Union Station, usually a hipster hot spot and seen in the photograph on the left, was totally deserted.  Not a surprise, considering the stay-at-home restrictions, but it also shows that when bars, restaurants, and brewpubs are all closed, there is not much reason to hang around down here.  If the pandemic lasts for more than a few months, I'm afraid that LoDo might wind up looking like this for a long time to come.  Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment