Saturday, April 4, 2020

Remembering My Grandmother Spillard




The photograph on the left is of my maternal grandmother, Louise Spillard, who was born back in 1888.  It was one of my mother Mary's favorite photos, showing my grandmother dressed like a Gibson Girl.  My great grandfather, Charles St. Pierre (my grandmother's father, also known as "Pa"), owned a farm with his brother Dolph in Saint-Eustache, Quebec.  The family had 5 children, and spent summers in Canada at the farm and winters in Chicago, where my great grandfather worked as a carpenter.  My great grandmother, Mary Jane, was English, and her family did not approve of her marriage to a Frenchman.  With so many children, the family struggled, and Aunt Maggie - my great grandmother's sister - offered to help by taking in my grandmother, making one less mouth to feed.  Aunt Maggie promptly took my grandmother out of school, and turned her into a servant. She was forced to get up early each morning, light the fire, cook breakfast, and do all kinds of other domestic chores. Finally, she ran away back home, and years later, when Aunt Maggie offered to "help out" my Grandmother Spillard by taking in my mother Mary, you can just imagine her reply. Eventually, Pa sold his share of the farm to his brother, and the family - with the exception of Allie, one of the sisters - moved to the South Side of Chicago full time. What I want to know is whether that sale of half interest in the farm was legal?  And if not, I want my share.  Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment