Sunday, April 5, 2020

Road Warriors Beware - Do You Have A Spare?



Late one evening last week, I got a flat tire on my way home from Fort Collins to Denver.  It was the first flat I have had since I bought my Hyundai Accent 5 years ago, and I must say I was shocked when I opened the trunk to get the spare out and found out there was no spare. Evidently, certain car companies are cutting costs by eliminating this feature, and salespeople are not letting buyers know.  This led to an exciting evening for me, especially after I called AAA and was told, due to the coronavirus, I would not be able to ride with the tow truck driver, even though I was sitting out in the middle of nowhere.  A supervisor made an exception for me, thank goodness, and in the end I was able to ride along to the tire store in Firestone, Colorado, where I downloaded the Uber App and arranged for a ride home.  And I must say, I was impressed with that service. I was picked up within 5 minutes by someone also driving back to the Denver area from Fort Collins, and although it was pricey, I at least didn't have to sleep in the car all night.  And the moral of all this: check your trunk to see if there is actually a spare back there, and if not, get one.  Unless, of course, you like to take unexpected Uber rides.  And who doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment