Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The January Issue Of Chicago Magazine


I just finished perusing the January issue of Chicago Magazine. From the feature story on the cover, titled Our 30 Favorite Things to Eat Right Now, seen in the photograph above, you can tell that this publication is obsessed with food. This article features the top dish at 30 different restaurants in Chicago, and I have to admit, some of these menu items sound good. On the other hand, a lot of them leave you shaking your head. More interesting was an article about street photographer Jay King, who spent the pandemic going down into his basement and printing photographs he took during the 60s and 70s. In the article, King said he took these photographs, which are featured in this month's issue, not to sell, but because he enjoyed taking them, which is as it should be. There was also a small article about how some of the major shopping malls in the Chicago area are reinventing themselves as entertainment centers as the popularity of malls declines. Two of these malls I used to visit when I lived in Chicago, including Oakbrook Center in the western suburbs and Water Tower Place on North Michigan Avenue. And all I can say is that they will never recreate the atmosphere at Water Tower Place back when Marshall Field's and Lord and Taylor were there. I would often take the "L" downtown on my days off, have lunch at the Water Tower Place McDonald's, and then browse the Rizzoli Bookstore across the way. Now that's what I call living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment