Saturday, January 28, 2023

Urban Farmer


I went for a walk around Lower Downtown Denver the other day, and just for fun checked out the menu at Urban Farmer. This restaurant replaced McCormick's Fish House, which was a very popular restaurant at the corner of 17th and Wazee, just down the street from Union Station. Former President Bill Clinton famously ate there once after touring the nearby Tattered Cover Bookstore. I never paid much attention to it's replacement, Urban Farmer, and assumed it was some sort of casual dining spot specializing in vegetarian dishes. In fact, it is a steak house, and their steaks are quite pricey, some approaching one hundred dollars. And if you also want a potato, vegetable, or salad, it is extra. How many people can afford a dinner like that? Even if you are well off, would it not be a bit off-putting to spend such a large amount on a single dinner? I guess that is what expense accounts are for. I long for the days of the $8.95 steak special at Hops Bar and Brewery, where I used to dine in both Denver and Stuart, Florida. Gone but not forgotten, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment