Thursday, July 25, 2013

The "L" And I


I took Denver's light rail train home from Coors Field the other night after the Rockies game.  People here call it the light rail, but it is really just another name for the "L" or, as some people in Chicago prefer, the "El" (but that's a whole different conversation that usually ends in fistfights).  In any case, I have a long history with "L" trains.  I was born in St. Bernard's Hospital,  located right next to Chicago's 63rd Street elevated train, and my first apartment was right across the street from the Lake Street "L" car barn.  Then a few years ago, Denver's light rail train was built right behind my condo.  I was expecting it would make the place look like Elwood Blue's rooming house in the Blues Brother's movie, where the trains went by so often you didn't even notice them, but that turned out not to be the case.  Another chance for an atmospheric domicile dashed.  What a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment