Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Stand


I am currently reading Stephen King's horror novel "The Stand."  It was recommended to me by my friend Valarie, the former Operations Manager of the DU Bookstore.  She tells me it is King's scariest novel.  So far, I find it far more depressing than scary.  The government accidentally releases a biological weapon into the atmosphere and kills off most of the world's population.  The survivors in the United States form into two groups.  The forces for good gather in Boulder, Colorado (Yes! Boulder!), while the followers of Satan gather in Las Vegas, Nevada (now that I can understand).  The two are evidently going to have the ultimate showdown.  I was very surprised to find that King describes Boulder like a native.  After researching this on the internet, I found out that he and his family lived in Boulder for a year while he wrote The Shining.  After they moved back to Maine, his next novel was The Stand.  I just hope reading this book doesn't have a bad effect on me.  I would hate to be driven stark raving mad - again.

No comments:

Post a Comment